Sunday, November 18, 2012

NCTE

The last few days I have been at the National Council for Teachers of English national conference in Las Vegas.  It has been absolutely inspiring.  On Thursday, the day I arrived, I listened to Will Richardson speak about writing and editing in the Twenty First Century.  He explained that today every student can write for an authentic audience.  Obviously it's not just students who can write for authentic audiences.  Everybody can.  I can.

So, I started thinking.  What would it mean for the CEO of A Pass Educational Group, LLC to maintain a blog.  There are so many things that I think about on a regular basis: financial issues; curriculum issues; leadership issues; personnel issues; marketing; family; my own growth; and, myself.  I think one of the reasons why a blog would be good for me is because I know that I am not an expert in everything.  I often relish feedback.  High quality feedback typically influences my decisionmaking.  I'm hoping that if I write this well, I will grow a community of readers.  Hopefully this community will reward me with feedback.

I did ask Will a question during his talk.  I asked how businesses should balance the need for confidential information with the need for transparency.  He explained that it was challenging.  He also said that he would opt for becoming known and interacting with strangers every time.  I'm not sure if I agree.  But, I do know that I am going to make this blog as transparent as possible.  I also know that A Pass Educational Group, LLC is not a perfect organization.  Like every business we have issues.  I am going to share these issues from time to time.  Hopefully the feedback that I receive will help me respond to these issues.

By the way, the most significant issue that we have right now is recruitment of freelance associates to work with us.  I have given out almost 500 flyers to potential freelancers at this conference.  But any suggestions on how to get more would be very much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment